A faulty electrical wire beneath the staircase of 648 Plymouth Street was deemed the cause of a house fire on Tuesday in Halifax following an investigation.
“Firefighters extinguished the fire utilizing a hand line from Engine one. The fire originated underneath the stairs, adjacent to one of the bedrooms in the basement,” said Fire Captain Jeff Cuozzo in a press release.
Crews from Halifax and a mutual aid engine arrived just after 4 p.m. from East Bridgewater to assist with the scene.
Arriving crews observed smoke coming from the first floor. All occupants were able to evacuate the structure, said Cuozzo.
No injuries were reported on scene.
The Red Cross is assisting the family.
Early estimated damage to the home is approximately $75,000.
The house located just after Thompson Street is a split-level residence. Traffic was rerouted on route 106 for a short time.