The Halifax Police Department along with representatives of the Plymouth Country District Attorney’s office held a public forum at the Halifax Town Hall on Tuesday answering questions about a series of home and car break-ins occurring in town.
On Tuesday July 31, Halifax Police arrested Jamir Johnson in connection with the break-ins. During the booking process, it was found that Johnson had murder charges filed against him for a December 2017 murder in New London, CT.
Police Chief Edward Broderick said they held the joint meeting so victims and residents could understand what’s happening with the process and to clear any confusion that could potentially occur with charges given the impending transfer of the prisoner back to Connecticut where he will answer murder charges there.
In cases like this, the murder and fugitive charges in Connecticut are addressed first. According to Assistant District Attorney Rick Linehan, the Halifax charges will be temporarily dropped. Linehan wanted to clear up any confusion over the charges being dropped because they will be refiled after the fact.
We will get warrants issued,” said Linehan. “We will get them in the WMS Warrant Management System and the NCIC a national database so if he ever got out the Connecticut case, his warrant will be right in the computer on the time of his release.”
Both Broderick and Linehan said they wanted to emphasize how this process worked in case victims and other residents read in a news outlet that the charges on Johnson were dropped.
Broderick also reiterated that a report of Johnson having a gun was false. He said Johnson was found with a knife and burglary tools.
The public forum also gave the Halifax Police Department a chance to let victims know what they know so far and what the department is still investigating.
According to Broderick, police are still looking to tie Johnson to a residence. As of right now, police do not know if Johnson was staying in the woods, an abandoned property, or at a Halifax residence.
The department are asking for community members to come forward if they’ve seen anything or haven’t reported a break in yet.
“Search your memory a little bit,” said Broderick. “You guys are the eyes and ears.”
Currently, police are aware of four homes and sheds being broken into since May. More than 54 cars were also reportedly broken into. Similar break-ins were reported in Pembroke.
One resident asked if Johnson confessed to anything. Sergeant Theodore Benner said Johnson would not even tell police his name or who he was. There was not much interrogation after police found out about Johnson’s murder charges.
Broderick said, “We don’t want to jeopardize the Connecticut issue, so we don’t go too into depth on an interrogation on our charges.” He explained that the murder charges take priority here.
Another resident asked if there will be any retribution for the theft victims. Broderick said it could be hard to prove all the cases and the more evidence that’s provided and the more people that come forward, it helps them build a stronger case.
Representatives from the Plymouth County District Attorney’s office offered to take contact information from victims. There will be a letter sent out to victims when the charges are refiled. Any victim can call the District Attorney’s office at (508) 584-8120.