HALIFAX – Heavy smoke could be seen from across the street as witnesses said they made 911 calls from the Dunkin Donuts drive thru on Plymouth Street Friday, Aug. 23, around 3 p.m.
A house fire at 346 Plymouth St. appeared to have been caused by a faulty electrical outlet and was deemed accidental in nature, Fire Chief Jason Viveiros told the press.
One personnel member responded with a fire engine because the Halifax ambulance was committed on a prior call.
In early images from bystanders, flames could be seen pouring out of the side of the two-family home. Witnesses said they ran to bang on the doors when they saw black smoke quickly turn to flames.
Tayla Jarris of Pembroke said there were more than a few people with cell phones calling the fire in as she and Stephen Bentley of Plympton went to the home to listen for sounds of people or animals.
Another man who did not wish to comment had also reportedly run to the back of the home to check if help was needed there, Jarris said.
Halifax Fire requested mutual aid and a second alarm was called to bring more manpower to the fire scene.
Jeanmarie Venti, the tenant of the home, had just returned to work from her lunch break when she received a call that her house was on fire. The property is owned by Tina and Bill Alger, also of Halifax.
Marie Sanford, Venti’s daughter who was at the fire scene, told the Express that her mother was shaken up and did not want to speak to the press at that time. She said that her mother was not home at the time of the fire, but incidentally had returned from a quick lunch just about an hour before the fire.
Sanford added that she was thankful that her mom was not hurt.
An early estimate put damages around $300,000, according to Chief Viveiros.
The fire was brought under control just before 4 p.m.
One firefighter was taken to Brockton Hospital for medical treatment.
Departments who responded to the scene along with a Kingston engine that covered the Halifax fire station were: Hanson, East Bridgewater, Pembroke, and Plympton fire departments.
During the fire incident both the Kingston engine and Pembroke ambulance responded for a medical emergency call.
All units were cleared and in service at 5 p.m. according to Viveiros.